Python MongoDB Delete Collection
To delete a MongoDB Collection in Python language, we shall use PyMongo. Follow these steps to delete a specific MongoDB Collection.
- Create a MongoDB Client to the MongoDB instance.
- Select database using client object. It is assumed that the collection we are going to delete is present in this database.
- Select collection using the database object.
- Use drop() function on the collection object to completely delete the specified collection from the database.
1. Delete MongoDB collection whose name is “developers”
In the following example, we shall delete developers collection. Also, for understanding, we will print the list of collections present in the database before and after deleting the collection.
import pymongo myclient = pymongo.MongoClient("mongodb://localhost:27017/") # Use database named "organisation" mydb = myclient["organisation"] print("List of collections before deletion\n--------------------------") for x in mydb.list_collection_names(): print(x) # Get collection named "developers" mycol = mydb["developers"] # Delete or drop collection mycol.drop() print("\nList of collections after deletion\n--------------------------") for x in mydb.list_collection_names(): print(x)
In this PyMongo Tutorial, we learned how to delete a MongoDB collection by name using drop() function.