Find element with least number of occurrences in list
To find the element with least number of occurrences in given list in Python, call min() built-in function, with list
count() method passed as value for
key parameter to max() function.
The syntax to find the least occurred element in the list
The min() function compares the elements in the list
x based on the return value from key function, which is the number of occurrences of an element in the list.
And in this use case, the min() function returns the element with least number of occurrences.
1. Find least occurred element in list x
In the following program we take a list of numbers in
x, and find the element with least number of occurrences in the list using min() function.
x = [2, 4, 0, 2, 8, 4, 2, 10, 0] leastFrequent = min(x, key=x.count) print(leastFrequent)
10 has occurred only once, and since
8 is the element that appears first in the list,
8 is returned by min().
In this tutorial of Python Examples, we learned how to find the least occurred element in the list using min() builtin function, with the help of examples.
- How to Insert Item at Specific Index in Python List?
- Python – Get Index or Position of Item in List
- Python Program to Find Largest Number in a List
- Python Program to Find Smallest Number in List
- Python List of Functions
- How to Sort Python List?
- Python – Convert List to Dictionary
- How to Reverse Python List?
- Python Program to Find Duplicate Items of a List
- How to Append List to Another List in Python? – list.extend(list)